About Me

My photo
A recent graduate of Ohio Northern University, I picked up my entire life 3 weeks after graduation and moved to Louisville, Kentucky to begin my professional career and new life.

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Life Lesson: The Friend Date

I am not 100% sure if I came up with the concept of "the friend date" or if my ever witty friend Brittney, but nonetheless, it is a one of the best things EVER.  So basically here is how it works: you meet a new person, you get their number and then you meet for drinks and/or dinner depending on comfort level at first meeting.  This could be a man, woman or whatever.  Just someone new you are interested in getting to know.


When you move to a new town and do not know anyone it is like you have to go on a first date with everyone you meet.  You have to decide if your interests are similar enough, if you can get along with each other, etc. before you decide if you can be friends or not.  You worry about your hair, your clothes, do you have something in your teeth, do you like the same music.  All the things that come along with a regular date and maybe even more important.  Because lets face it, you are not just choosing someone to smooch on, you are choosing the people you will tell about the person you smooched on.  Bros before hoes, chicks before...well you know. Important stuff here, guys. I would say I have gone on about 25 friend dates in the almost seven months I have been in the Ville.  Some good, some bad and some ugly.  Believe you me, there are so really good stories that come out of friend dates just like romantic dates.


I have made several great friends through the friend dating process and no longer have to go on "friend dates" with them.  There are some folks though that require multiple friend dates.  I really need to come up with a cut off point.  How many friend dates are enough to determine if you can be friends?  Where is the line drawn between those you have good enough dates to be really good friends or just acquaintances?  My answer to these questions: 5 1/2 and sushi. 


I have been on about 6 friend dates with a person I met at a social function.  This young woman is very nice and we had a lot in common.  We decided to meet for a lunch friend date.  This turned into 2 lunches and so on.  I could never quite make the jump though to considering this person my friend. Something always just seemed to not fit quite right.  And then one fateful Thursday I discovered what it was...sushi.  I do not care for sushi.  The dater was aware of this, but told me we would go someplace where there was something else to eat besides sushi.  We get there and there isn't.  I am stuck then in a tiny restaurant with not time to go anywhere else and starving and having to chow down on some sushi.  It. was. awful.


Now, I understand that I should be open to new foods and I try to be, but it is the principle of the matter.  A dinner friend date? Sure, lets grab some sushi and I will give it a go.  A lunch friend date? No, I don't have time to not enjoy my lunch when I have to be back at work.


This is just one of the many friend date experiences I have had and because of all the other great experiences I have had, I am a big supporter of a friend date.  Just word to the wise, when a friend on a date says they do not care for something....listen. The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment