About Me

My photo
A recent graduate of Ohio Northern University, I picked up my entire life 3 weeks after graduation and moved to Louisville, Kentucky to begin my professional career and new life.

Thursday, March 17, 2011

ALFAC taking feeling some flack.

This week Gilbert Gottfried was fired as the voice of the talking duck for the insurance company AFLAC.  This came as a result of Gottfried posting some racially degrading tweets in response to the Japanese tsunami and earthquake. Saying things like "Japan is so advanced they don't go to the beach, the beach comes to them."  What an untimely and all around rude comment to make. A comment like this would never be acceptable, but especially in a time of crisis in Japan, it is simply appalling.

I wonder how much heat AFLAC will take for their former employee's comments or will the majority of the media attention be focused on Gilbert himself.  I think in this instance it is more important to focus on the actual person.  The organization has no control over what their employee is going to tweet in regards to current events and really shouldn't have control when it is not concerning a company matter. I am not sure how much of a career Gilbert Gottfried has to salvage, but whatever it is, it is going to be hard to regain the world's respect.

If you would like to see a news report on the event click here

2 comments:

  1. I had not heard this-what a horrible thing to say at a time like this! That makes me angry and I am glad he lost his job. Because AFLAC fired him, I hope this does not come back on the company. Thank you for sharing that article, it is a good reminder of just how accountable you have to be with your online persona.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're right. In instances like this, the public SHOULD focus more on the individual rather than the company with which that individual is associated. Unfortunately, AFLAC is probably going to be associated in some way with Gottfried in every report about this event. The headline for the clip you linked to in your post has "Aflac" and "Gottfried" in its title. And I would guess that most articles about Gottfried's poor decision will say something like "Gottfried, the man formerly employed by AFLAC"... so, it's going to be really hard for the public to separate Gottfried from AFLAC in this situation.

    But, I also think AFLAC responded in the correct way by immediately terminating Gottfried's employment. So maybe they have dodged the "bad PR" bullet by their quick and appropriate response.

    Great topic/post!

    ReplyDelete