About Me

My photo
A recent graduate of Ohio Northern University, I picked up my entire life 3 weeks after graduation and moved to Louisville, Kentucky to begin my professional career and new life.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Engage Part 2

Now that I am really getting into Engage! I really appreciate the writing style and the flow of this book as well.  It is very easy to follow, and I like how Brian Solis breaks the topics up in a way that does not make a 120 page section feel like you are reading a 120 page section. There were several different topics in part 2 that were of interest to me. The first one being the section on podcasts and wikis.

I have to be honest, I really didn't know exactly what a podcast or wikis were.  I had obviously heard about the wiki leaks scandal, but the only wiki i had ever heard of was wikipedia.  I really appreciated learning about wikis in general. I was surprised to find out how prevalent they are and how they are defined by their interactivity. As for podcasts, I had seen them pop up on my itunes, but never had really taken the time to look into them. I now realized they are sophisticated radio media, but more specialized. Almost like a satellite radio station.  I feel like an awful communication major for never looking into these terms, but I am very glad I know them now.

Secondly, I really liked the section on social calendars and events. I have recently become a little obsessed with evite.com.  I created my account and within a week had sent 3 invitations.  It is just a simple and organized way to keep track of attendees and upcoming events. This summer at my internship I got a lot of experience with public online social events calendars.  Whenever we had an event coming up, as the intern, it was my job to find every possible outlet on the internet to advertise it.  It was amazing to me the number of places that had event calendars that would send posted events to their members through email.  Also, so many cities have city cites where any event happening in the area can be publicized.

Finally, I got a kick out of the facebook section.  It was funny to me to see groups and pages explained when it seems like such second nature.  But in the future, facebook will probably be no more and there needs to be documentation about this social networking phenomenon that took the world by storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment