About Me

My photo
A recent graduate of Ohio Northern University, I picked up my entire life 3 weeks after graduation and moved to Louisville, Kentucky to begin my professional career and new life.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Rain, Rain, Go AWAY!

Even though it is officially spring according the the calendar, I feel as though Ada, Ohio is far from it.  While rain is a natural occurrence in the spring months in the Midwest, the freezing temperatures and possible snow showers need to go away.  I would have really liked it for that little taste of spring we had last week to be a permanent change in ONU's weather.  Unfortunately, as is typical with Ohio weather, one can never predict what the weather is going to be from one day to the next, especially in March and April.  Hopefully this possible snow headed our way will be the last of the season. 
As I was walking to class today and the rain started, I considered the essential weather gear that it seems every Northern girl is equipped with, a list I wish I would have had prior to my freshman year.  So, I am going to provide that list for any future ONU student reading this blog.

1. Rain boots (I prefer either a neutral colored pair that will go with anything.)
2. Snow boots (Again, a neutral color or choices depending on your outfit, but make sure they have really good traction)
3. Umbrella (It is best if the umbrella is quite sturdy and will not flip inside out while in use.)
4. A fleece jacket (i.e. Northface)
5. A really warm hat and gloves
6. A big puffy warm coat
7. A cuter coat when it is not super cold
8. Good balancing skills (The ice on campus can be deadly.)
9. Warm socks
10. Lots of extra jeans to change into when yours get drenched on the way to class

While many of these things I brought to school with me when I was first starting, some of them I learned about through trial and error (i.e. the traction on shoes). It may seem silly and like common sense, but it is unbelievable how important a simple pair of warm socks can become in mid-January.

2 comments:

  1. I think you can speak for almost all of ONU's campus when you say that you wish the glimpse of spring weather we witnessed would have stayed. I definitely agree.

    I was home in Cincinnati on Wednesday and it was 70, partly sunny, and awesome. I walked my dog in shorts and a t-shirt that day. It rained later in the day and got very cold over night. By Friday, it was freezing. Then, it snowed for a good four hours on Saturday night. Having crazy weather in Ohio is not fun.

    Your list is an essential list for any future ONU student. I wish someone would have told me I needed rain boots, as I didn't realize how convienent they really could be. The only thing I would add to the list is a cute rain coat, because getting wet on the way to class is the worst.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great list!
    * I've had a pair of rain boots before, though I rarely wore them because I felt like they never matched anything I had to wear. (hence the neutral color advice)
    * The snow boots - Perfect for the awful Ada winters, but the traction is a definite must. I've had my share of slips on the ice from the lack of grip from my boots.
    * The umbrella, I'm going to have to disagree with though, but only because I have ruined probably four different umbrellas while walking to class and looked like a fool when the wind flips my umbrella inside out. Not cool. Now I just opt to grab my more waterproof coat than my fleece and make sure I have a hood on!

    ReplyDelete