About Me

My photo
A recent graduate of Ohio Northern University, I picked up my entire life 3 weeks after graduation and moved to Louisville, Kentucky to begin my professional career and new life.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

How much is too much?

As I was perusing E News today, I came across a story that really got me thinking. Leonardo DiCaprio has just signed on to do a television commercial for a Chinese phone company that will reportedly pay him five million dollars.  Yes, that is correct, five million dollars for a 30-60 second commercial!  This situation causes me to ask, how much is to much for an actor, sport figure or other opinion leader to be paid for his or her services as an endorser? All the time you hear of athletes getting millions and millions of dollars with Nike and Gatorade.  But then, I think about a country like China that is so close to Japan, a country that is in the midst of a national crisis, and wonder how in the world is it excusable to pay five million dollars for a television commercial.  That five million dollars could do so much for the relief efforts in Japan or even for important issues in China.  And then I think about Leonardo DiCaprio taking this money.  At a time like this and as an actor who is usually quite philanthropic this is appalling to me that he would accept this offer.  At least say you will give the money to the Red Cross or something Leo!  I think that the world's priorities are a little messed up at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment