About Me

My photo
A recent graduate of Ohio Northern University, I picked up my entire life 3 weeks after graduation and moved to Louisville, Kentucky to begin my professional career and new life.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Duck and Cover

Well, I guess there is a first for everything.  Finally spring quarter of my senior brings about a tornado warning in the middle of the night.  Granted, I have experienced my fair share of tornado scares while growing up in Northwest Ohio, the start of tornado alley, but until last night I had never experienced one while at ONU.  There was a tornado scare this past summer in Ada, but I was not around for it.  Last night at approximately 12:30 p.m. I hear the wind start to pick up and my walls start shaking from the thunder.  I guess that is what you get for living on the third floor in the room with the outside facing wall.  Then, that screeching siren sounds and I know what that means.  I go to wake up my roommate and we discuss for a couple minutes what to do.  There is no basement in the campus apartments, so we call a friend who lives on the first floor.  We head to her room only to discover the rest of the people in our building lining the hallways of Stadium View East first floor.  The sirens are continuing to go off and it is starting to get annoying.  I continue to watch the news and once we discover that everything is all clear, I head back up to go to bed. Just a little excitement in the tiny town of Ada on a Tuesday night. One thing that really surprised me though was the number of people who were absolutely terrified.  I actually think storms are fun and exciting as long as no one is getting hurt.  But the number of people I have talked to today who were unable to sleep because they were too scared was astounding.  I guess it is a good thing that a tornado warning has not come to Ada in my four years before now.

1 comment:

  1. Did you look outside when the sirens were going off? There wing was making the rain swirl around in circles between Stadium View East and West. One of those little trees was leaning over like it was going to snap. I was a little scared, but could not take my eyes off the weather. I was completely glued to the window, which could have been a pretty bad place to be if the storm was worse. I thought the storm was awesome!

    ReplyDelete