About Me

My photo
A recent graduate of Ohio Northern University, I picked up my entire life 3 weeks after graduation and moved to Louisville, Kentucky to begin my professional career and new life.

Monday, April 11, 2011

Small Town Opening the Window to a Big World

Tonight I got a truly unique experience on Ohio Northern's campus.  Dr. Jack Shaheen was brought to campus by the ONU political science department to speak on the American population's perspective of Arabs.  Dr. Shaheen is the author of the book Reel Bad Arabs which looks at over 1,000 Hollywood movies and their portrayals of Arabs and Muslims.  The book was also converted to the screen in the form of a documentary.  I have to say this was one of the most insightful and thought provoking lectures I have heard on this campus.
With over 25 years of research and numerous scholarly credit to his name, Dr. Shaheen deserves every bit of praise that he has been given throughout his career.  He opened the audience's eyes to the way that the media portrays Arabs and Muslims as the enemy.  So many different films, ads and news reports are simply appalling when one looks at them from this perspective.  I am so glad I had the opportunity to hear such a brilliant speaker on this campus.

No comments:

Post a Comment